Civil Rights & Liberties or "White Privileges"?

Mina Kumar wejazzjune at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 7 14:30:29 PST 2001

>From: ravi <gadfly at home.com>
>To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com
>Subject: Re: Civil Rights & Liberties or "White Privileges"?
>Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 13:17:55 -0500
>
>Mina Kumar wrote:
>

>>>actually no, i do not know what bush's friends had to say about mccain's
>>>adopted daughter, but more to the point: i am not contesting that
>>>indians have been targetted.
>>
>>Less to the point, I'm afraid.
>>
>>My point, viz McCain fille, wasn't that Indians were targeted, my point
>>was that race isn't the product of one's own aspirations but of other's
>>people's attitudes. To paraphrase Sartre, you are black if other people
>>think you are.
>>

>yes i can agree with that, but that indians seem to aspire to "whiteness"
>was only one of the points i brought up. the context is that art mcgee's
>post implied that "japanese, koreans, chinese people etc., are placed a
>couple of levels above blacks" in the "dehumanizing white supremacy"
>because of the "model myth that envelopes [them]". i do not think that
>mcgee suggests that japanese, korean or chinese people are embraced
>wholeheartedly as white or that they are not targets of attacks. in
>particular art mcgee says that "japanese, koreans, chinese people" are
>only a "couple of levels above blacks". my response therefore was to
>question (and it is important to note that its a question. i do not have
>a conclusion to present) whether indians are really at that same slot as
>the blacks or would it not be true that indians too might be slotted a
>couple of slots above (like the japanese, chinese, korean people) blacks,
>and my i presented some thoughts (about model minorities) that were
>behind my doubt.

Dude, you seem to think I don't understand your point. I understand your point perfectly well. I think you are lacking some important information. You still don't seem to know what Bush supporters said about McCain fille, which shows a certain lack of interest in this discussion on your part. Hint: they didn't say she was on "the same slot" as black people.

>>>perhaps the statistics point to significant differences here?
>>
>>I'll start and you chime in when you're ready, ok? Sean Fernandes of
>>SF, Waqar Hassan Choudhry of Dallas, Balbir Singh Sodhi of Phoenix,
>>Attar Singh Bhatia of Richmond Hills, Kulwinder Singh of Seattle, Uday
>>Menon of NY....
>>

>how do i chime in? do i have to furnish a list of korean or chinese or
>japanese americans who have been targetted for attacks?

uh, you a) work out what all the people on that list have in common, and b) work out what it was I was implying.

This is starting to feel like the Stanley Fish discussion, so I think I'll bow out at this point.