Leftists (white) and Black Liberation

Mina Kumar wejazzjune at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 7 14:43:59 PST 2001

>From: Art McGee <amcgee at well.com>
>To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com
>Subject: RE: Leftists (white) and Black Liberation
>Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 14:24:29 -0800 (PST)
>
> > Hmm...See blurbs by Stuart Hall on the back cover of
> > Black Atlantic.
>
>OK, that's one Black man, a Brit, who I respect.
>
> > Below see more from Black academics and journals
> > edited by Blacks like Race & Class. So the Editors of
> > Transition where I saw the excerpt from Gilroy on Garvey
> > and Mussolini are Inauthentic Blacks?
>
>First, Transition is a centrist/neo-liberal publication run
>by Negroes such as Henry Louis Gates and Kwame Appiah. These

Neither of them, nor for that matter Wole Soyinka, actually runs the magazine. It's edited by Michael Vazquez (white), Kelefa Sanneh (mixed) and Corson (white).

>People such as
>Gilroy and Adolph Reed merely pontificate from the sidelines
>or the bell tower, but are alienated from and hostile to
>regular working-class people, especially Black people.

I can see why you'd say that about Paul Gilroy, but why Adolph Reed? Is this some specific argument about the Labor Party that I'm not seeing?