horses v tanks

Charles Jannuzi jannuzi at edu00.f-edu.fukui-u.ac.jp
Wed Nov 7 21:04:13 PST 2001

CC:
> You tap some of my oldest memories. I would have been 9 then. And I
remember a newspaper column about how when the fall rains came the Polish Cavalry would be effective. <

The Germans also used horses to draw artillery and to pull supply wagons.

My National Guard unit was one of the last cavalry units in the US to keep horses. I'm not that old, but out front of the armory was the old armory, complete with horse barn. If they do some searching I'm sure they can find all sort of horse-related military occupational specialities for the special forces.

In the Guard, I did call my M48A5 tank 'Trigger'. When that was shipped off to S. Lebanon in the 1980s, my new steed, an M60A3 main battle tank was dubbed 'Silver'.

Charles Jannuzi