MIME 1.0

ravi gadfly at home.com
Thu Nov 8 08:41:26 PST 2001

Chuck Grimes wrote:

> Once I got home, I decided I should go back to this thread. (Caution,
> techno-babble alert)

same below:

> Even though I have a thang for the unix cli because of it's utter
> simplicity, raw power, and yes it pins Kelley's dick-o-meter, I
> thought you should at least see some of the lesser bells and whistles,
> those fake buttons and drop down menus in X-windows. Go here:
>
> http://www.rawbw.com/~cgrimes/homepage/desk_1.jpeg

neat.

> This is what my desktop (twm) looks like. There are plenty of all
> those buttons, menus and catchy icons---but this is the extremely
> spartan version by most X-window standards. Search under X-windows or
> Linux for the fancy looking desktops.

here are some:

gnome: http://www.gnome.org/images/screenshots/19991208-jrb-big http://www.gnome.org/images/screenshots/20000400-jacob-big http://www.gnome.org/images/screenshots/20000520-ng-big.jpg more at: http://www.gnome.org/seegnome.html

ximian evolution: http://www.ximian.com/imagewrap.html?image=/images/screenshots/ximian_evolution/evolution_mail.png

here's my hybrid desktop (PC running windows2000, exceed X, gnome, mozilla browser, xv the image manipulation tool, gnumeric the spreadsheet, and other applications - that tent is on polihale beach state park in kauai, hawaii, in case you are wondering): http://www.streamcenter.com/~ravi/desktop2.jpg

if you do go to my web page, for a fun look at politics, indian style, check out: http://www.streamcenter.com/~ravi/india-politics.mov

> If I could get my ISP to relax their nfs_mount (new file system)
> protocols, I could literally drag and drop or cut and paste between my
> system and my ISP account. This would be very handy for building and
> maintaining websites, since you could mount the website directory tree
> from the ISP account on your home system, work on it and then umount
> it back. Of course they don't allow that on user accounts. They make you
> upload/download via ftp.

interesting problem... it should be not too difficult to hack up a program that uses a local cache of your files (and disk space is cheap these days) offered to the OS as a mounted file system (which most modern unices provide means to do) and use FTP in the back end to keep the files in sync with the ISP server...

here's a web page that describes something similar, except most of the links are broken: http://www.ludd.luth.se/~kavli/alex.html

i also found the ACM SIGOPS group has a similar effort: http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/sigops/ftpfiles.html

however, this is definitely what might work for you: ftpfs for linux: http://ftpfs.sourceforge.net/

--ravi

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- man is said to be a rational animal. i do not know why he has not been defined as an affective or feeling animal. more often i have seen a cat reason than laugh or weep. perhaps it weeps or laughs inwardly - but then perhaps, also inwardly, the crab resolves equations of the 2nd degree. -- alasdair macintyre.