Marable weighs in

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Fri Nov 9 12:41:37 PST 2001

Gordon Fitch wrote:

> On the other hand, by the _argumentum_ad_odorem_, Art and I
> should be more concerned with the NYPD, because they're much
> closer at hand and we're more likely to be killed by them,
> if they're popping off certain classes of citizens, than by
> a Salvadorean death squad. (My approach is to analyze the
> situation materialistically, rather than moralize.) The
> _spirit_ of the killings is probably the same, no?
>

> -- Gordon

You're more likely to be killed by any one of your significant others, as well. Do they constitute a "death squad" worthy of great concern? As for your question (apparently rhetorical) about the "spirit" of the killings, the answer is absolutely not. The one is a mass concerted effort to eradicate dissent, and the other a small collection of abuses of power and the occasional instance of self-defense.

-- Luke