Marable weighs in

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Fri Nov 9 09:48:33 PST 2001

Gordon Fitch wrote:
> >On the other hand, by the _argumentum_ad_odorem_, Art and I
> >should be more concerned with the NYPD, because they're much
> >closer at hand and we're more likely to be killed by them,

Doug Henwood:
> You & I & Justin are not at all likely to be killed by the NYPD. Cop
> violence is one area where race almost completely dominates. I bet a
> black lawyer in an Armani suit is more likely to get hassled or shot
> than a scruffy white anarchist.

Hah. I was profiled and _very_ carefully searched at an airport recently -- almost as if I had been of apparent Middle-Eastern descent. They even searched my shoes, went through my stuff, and patted me down! Maybe I've been out in the sun too much lately. If only I'd been a Green Party official, I could have made a hell of a scene. But I'm just me, unfortunately -- I mean, fortunately. In regard to improper pigmentation and other attributes, I'm one of those people who are acutely aware that their ancestors were Not Quite White and may be defined as Insufficiently White at any moment. And I live in a poor neighborhood. That being the case, I'd like to reduce official gunplay as a matter of self-interest as well as aesthetics.

-- Gordon