campus antiwar movement "gaining focus & momentum"

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 9 11:03:47 PST 2001

> The University of California at Berkeley becomes
> Protest Central this
> weekend, when representatives from 40 West Coast
> colleges plan to
> gather for a conference of California Students
> Against the War

This is the best news I have heard! A new space needed to be created for an anti-war movment outside of that one being structured by the "vanguard" groups.

I am certain these students and others will come up with creative autonomous actions, far more radical, inventive and fresh than the "vanguardists" could even dream of.

These kids need the "vanguardists" like a haemophiliac needs a whack on the head. I am sure though that the vanguardists will be there kissing ass and trying to sell their tired newspapers.

-Thomas

-Thomas

. A
> [...]
> a war that moves slowly and has muddled objectives.
> At the
> conferences, "we're seeing how we can tap into that
> growing antiwar
> sentiment that the country has shown in the last few
> weeks," said
> Jessica Gould, a Harvard University student who
> plans to attend the
> Boston conference, called the Northeast Regional
> Conference Against
> War and Racism.
>
> The conferences offer protesters a chance to plan
> joint events, and
> provide a forum for students who feel like outcasts
> on their own
> campuses, because most students do express support
> for the war
> effort. "People felt isolated, and these regional
> conferences give
> you a feeling of solidarity," said Deepinder Mayell,
> a student at
> Boston College. "When you are working on
> social-justice issues,
> you're deemed very anti-American."
>
> The Berkeley conference will include workshops on
> activist organizing
> and Middle Eastern history, as well as a session
> titled "Converting
> the Anti-Capitalist Movement Into the Anti-War
> Movement." The Boston
> conference features a talk by Ralph Nader.
>
> Berkeley students also held a protest on Thursday in
> front of the San
> Francisco offices of Sen. Dianne Feinstein, a
> California Democrat.
> The students oppose legislation proposed by Senator
> Feinstein and
> Sen. Jon Kyl, an Arizona Republican, that would
> prevent the federal
> government from issuing student visas to individuals
> from countries
> on the U.S. State Department's list of terrorism
> sponsors.
>
> "This incriminates whole national identities," said
> Hoang Phan, a
> Berkeley doctoral student in English. "[Senator
> Feinstein] is
> basically saying that if you're from one of these
> countries, you are
> a terrorist."
>
> Mr. Phan also pointed out that the proposed
> legislation would still
> permit the issuing of visas to students from Saudi
> Arabia and Egypt,
> the homelands of most of the September 11 hijackers.
>
> Other protests this week included a 36-hour
> water-only fast that
> began at 9 a.m. Wednesday. The event took place on
> more than a dozen
> campuses, led by Occidental College. "A
> student-organized national
> hunger fast will send a powerful message to the
> international
> community that America's youth oppose its country's
> violent military
> response to the complex issue of terrorism," said
> Spencer D. Jackson.
> Mr. Jackson is a student at Occidental and the

===== "The tradition of all the dead generations

weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living"

-Karl Marx