Nancy Oden: Screwing the Greens?

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Fri Nov 9 11:18:15 PST 2001

http://www.counterpunch.org/oden3.html
>...Here's a little footnote on sectarianism. Oden's a member of the Green
Party USA, as distinct from the Association of Green Parties with which Ralph Nader is associated. There's ill-feeling between the two groups. When Oden's experience at Bangor went the rounds, Naderite Greens were quick to belittle the affair. "Leader of Green splinter group fibs about airport hassle" was the title on one sneering email forwarded by Naderite Bill Kaufman of the Manhattan Greens. It went on, "while the undue harassment of airline travelers is to be condemned, it does not seem that this incident warrants fears of a major violation of Constitutional guarantees of free speech, as it first appeared. The group that Nancy Oden leads is nevertheless using the incident to draw attention and support to itself."

When we posted Oden's press release about the incident on our site, along with Declan's interview with her, we were flooded with emails from angry Naderite Greens, who smeared Oden in the vilest terms. Lorna Saltzman denounced her as "Marxist-Stalinist-lentilist." Another referred to her as a "hysterical woman" who probably deserved whatever she got. Yet another said that she wasn't really a political leader but only "an organic farmer with an axe to grind about genetically engineered crops." Other Green Party flacks were just glad that their faction of the party wasn't on a no-fly list and they could continue to rack up the frequent flier miles. <snippy>