Weigh-in on NY mayor elections?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Nov 9 12:55:54 PST 2001

Carrol Cox wrote:

>What's to regret? Anything that hurts the DP simply reduces the barrier
>to the growth of a mass movement in the U.S. After all, that is the DP's
>reason for existing: Keep women, blacks, latinos, liberal intellectuals
>etc. safely corralled.

I almost voted for Bloomberg for just that reason - that an essential prerequisite to even mildly progressive politics in NYC is the destruction of the Democratic Party, at least in its present form. I ended up not voting for him because I just couldn't bring myself to do it. But now it's time to take advantage of the great vacuum.

Nathan, of course, will disagree.

Doug