Baudrillard "weighs" in

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Nov 9 13:49:04 PST 2001

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Ken Hanly wrote:
>
> > I really can't fathom why anyone would read stuff like this...
>
> Baudrillard's Verso books sell no more than 5,000 copies apiece. So
> not that many people read stuff like this.

How many of those are library sales?

And if Baudrillard is read by two or three hundred people, who then quote him in journal articles, he (or anyone else) can begin to have a big impact on people who don't even remember the titles of his books or who, exactly, he is. That last describes me, but someone on a local maillist quoted something from him a few years ago that impressed me, and while I don't even remember what the quote was about, that could be because that fragment at least got incorporated in my own thinking.

Carrol