campus antiwar movement "gaining focus & momentum"

C P quintanus at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 9 14:36:19 PST 2001

Here is their schedule if you are in the bay area and interested. Tragically, the anti-WTO demo is at 2pm Saturday starting at the Richmmond BART (also thankfully free of too many vanguard groups except nicer ones such as solidarity).

Jose Palafox is pretty good. He is doing research on border crossings and actions of vigilantes along the Arizona border. When David horowitz was here, the young republicans put Palafox under citizen's arrest for walking by outside and making jokes that were too humorous for them, and they had the police put him in jail for at least a day and he had *felony* charges filed before they were dropped. I don't know how forgiving I would be. I think he writes for MRR too?

The Berkeley anti-war group started out in the first days with BAMN people being the most vocal and prominent which tended to make me avoid going to their meetings, but 2 or 3 weeks later the group voted to kick and and permanently exclude all members of BAMN unless they quit BAMN. I'm not sure what it was that they did, but they went against decisions that the group had voted on or were passing themselves off as the leaders or something like that. BAMN has had such a bad history - not with just a few bad apples, but consistently over many years. There are several essays on the internet about what their tactics have been. Christine