Weigh-in on NY mayor elections?

Mina Kumar wejazzjune at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 9 18:38:54 PST 2001

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com
>Subject: Re: Weigh-in on NY mayor elections?
>Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 15:55:54 -0500
>
>I almost voted for Bloomberg for just that reason - that an essential
>prerequisite to even mildly progressive politics in NYC is the
>destruction of the Democratic Party, at least in its present form. I
>ended up not voting for him because I just couldn't bring myself to
>do it.

Apocalyptic "let the worst leadership get in power because then the people will rise" logic really scares me. It's kind of dismissive of the people who get trampled on in the meantime, the people for whom the difference between bad and worse makes a profound difference in their life.

I have an acquaintance who hasn't and won't vote at all bc it means acquiescing in fiction of the state's legitimacy etc etc etc, even during an election when talk of an amnesty was in the air, an issue that effects so many undocumented people we know and it just seemed so egregiously callous to say well, go ahead and suffer bc eventually the revolution will come.

Yeah, yeah, lily-livered quasi-liberal etc etc.