Hello!: Popular backlash against Berkeley

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Fri Nov 9 20:09:56 PST 2001

``Yeah. The mayor has always had a long series of photo-ops to try to present herself as a liberal, but she really just cares about 4th street where she converted a warehouse area into an upscale shopping strip with Pottery barn etc. She will do something somewhat ineffective like declare that Berkeley will only purchase fair trade coffee (how much coffee does Berkeley buy?) and then send out press releases and get on the cover of the newspaper. Another conservative on the council had this weird proposal to endorse the purple teletubby, which became another crazy Bezerkeley story. The mayor made an opportunity from K. Worthington's criticism of the boyscouts, and I think she got on the O'Reilly factor for that too...'' Christine P

Bet you'll never guess who used to have a big cheap studio on 4th Street---that is until redevelopment turned a perfectly unsafe, rundown, shabby, below code, cold water work space into a trendy suite of architecture and design offices.

Never mind the question of why a city of barely over one hundred and thirty thousand, needs a clear and unambiguous foreign policy.

But, yes, its true, our mayor Shirley Dean is Berkeley's Madeleine Albright look a like. I suspect they were roommates at MTS. BUWP (the Margaret Thatcher School for Butt Ugly Women in Politics).

Thanks to all for correcting my slip in allowing our Obersturmbannfuhrer Dean to skate on the block-aid issue. Ask, tsk, Karl Alfred.

``...So, it appears that Councilwoman Spring is feeling like she could use our support in the war of public relations. If you write a letter in support of the Berkeley resolution to stop the bombing ASAP, please cc it to the above newspapers as requested.'' -- Yoshie

Yes, Yoshie, I have been remiss. I tried to send an e-mail to Lee but she had pulled her e-mail address from her web site. Then I was going to mail an actual letter to her offices in Oakland and the stupid anthrax scare hit.

Chuck Grimes