"Homeland Insecurity" by Doug Valentine

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Sat Nov 10 08:11:03 PST 2001

Homeland Insecurity: Phoenix, Chaos, The Enterprise, and The Politics of Terror In America http://www.counterpunch.org/homeland1.html ------------------------------------------- Valentine says a National Review article by Iran-Contra gang member Michael Ledeen announces the shape of things to come. ------------------------------------------- (...) Defending our homeland will not be an easy task, according to Michael Ledeen, a former counter-terror expert in the Reagan Administration's State Department and National Security Council. In a 1 October article for the National Review OnLine, Ledeen said the difficulty will be getting the law-enforcement and intelligence agencies "to coordinate better with one another." Ledeen defines this organizational problem as ideological, and he specifically blames the Clintons, "for failing to properly organize our nation's security apparatus." (...) "This is time for the old motto, "kill them all, let God sort 'em out." New times require new people with new standards," Ledeen asserts. "The entire political (italics added) world will understand it and applaud it. And it will give Tom Ridge a chance to succeed, and us to prevail." ------------------------------------------- Hardly surprising, coming from Ronnie's counter-terror expert, who is simply describing his own MO. Valentine gives us a long, scary account of Phoenix, COINTELPRO, Iran-Contra, etc., to make the point that the US right has a fascist agenda. He concludes that "unpresident" Bush has overnight become the leader for a nation under attack - even for Chelsea Clinton, one may add - and that a fascist state is being assembled around this pathetic Fuhrer. ------------------------------------------- The "new times" means a society in which the organizing principle is terror. The "new people" are those who take internal security seriously enough to impose the "new standards," which allow military tribunals to order summary executions and torture here in America, when necessary, and mass murder anywhere in the world there are thought to be terrorists, as is happening in Afghanistan right now. (...) Internationally the story isn't any prettier. Bush's ambassador to the United Nations, John Negroponte, has stated that America must attack more and more countries. Like other terrorists in the Bush Administration, Negroponte is well suited to this task. As U.S. ambassador to Honduras under Reagan, he funded that particular right wing regime's most notorious death squads, Battalion 316.

In the name of anti-terrorism, the illegitimate Bush Administration can be expected to revitalize this practice worldwide, training torturers and tyrants to wage "global counter-terrorism" against any nation that harbors suspected terrorists, or critics of U.S. foreign policy. And any connection you have to these foreign enemies, even if it is merely sympathy for the Palestinians, subjects you to imprisonment, loss of livelihood, and worst of all, forfeiture of your sense of humor.

That's right. You can't even make fun of the situation anymore. Which is, when you think of it, perfectly in keeping with out time honored Judaic-Christian ethic.

Here at home, through the Office of Homeland Security, we will endure more political and psychological warfare, more black and gray propaganda, and more deceit and disinformation than any society on earth before. We're told we must become new people in a brave new world, where indefinite detention, torture and summary execution of our suspected enemies will make us free. (...) ------------------------------------------- Is Valentine's crystal-gazing convincing? Are we really headed for a Starship Troopers world with terrorists instead of space bugs?

Hakki