Marable weighs in

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Sat Nov 10 09:33:24 PST 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin Schwartz" <jkschw at hotmail.com>

> As the house liberal, I take exception to this snipe against
liberalism.
> Liberalism brought us the Rights of Man, the Bill of Rights and the
> Thirteenth and Fourteenth Amendents, due process, civil rights, and
equal
> protection. It opposes arbitrary killings or arbitarry deprivations
of any
> sort.
========= Ok so did 9-11 and the current legislative agenda build liberalism's coffin? Or are they just shooting legal buckshot into the body politic to see how much of it will stick after it winds it's way through the jurisprudential factory? I know lot's of people in Seattle who have no due process right now.

Ian

> Besides, even on its own terms is is dumb. It ignores the concrete
> determinations that make the manifestations of
"liberalism-capitalism" in
> one circumtsnace different from another--differences which are worth
> fighting for. Under the death squad regime in El Salvador, we'd all
be
> horribly dead. Under the terroristic reign of NYPD or the Chicago
Police,