Chelsea heckles anti-war rally

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Sat Nov 10 16:59:20 PST 2001

> The initial goal was merely cheaper oil, which is why most Democratic
> Senators voted against the war and also why Bush Sr. was content to pull
out
> before sacking Baghdad (side note: few have mentioned how the fall of
> Hussein during the Gulf War would've saved the Iraqi lives lost to
> sanctions). However, deposing Hussein became a policy initiative after
the
> war and continues to be one.
>
> -- Luke

Is this what they're teaching as poli-sci at UMich? If "deposing Hussein" was a true "policy initiative" after the war, then why was it US policy to lay back and let the Republican Guard slaughter the Kurds and Shi'as who rose in rebellion? Did this not solidify Hussein's rule? Doesn't the sanctions? After all, the sanctions do nothing to the regime -- nothing. The people are the ones who die. And while there is talk about openly invading Iraq and overthrowing Hussein, it would not be in the interests of "democracy." I mean, someone has to sit on the nationalist and religious forces looking to secede from Iraq. Saddam was considered perfect for this job until August, 1990. He's been seen as an imperfect instrument ever since, but he'll do until a new pro-US figurehead can be installed.

DP