Alterman & Lilla lovefest

Peter Kosenko kosenko at netwood.net
Sun Nov 11 10:47:38 PST 2001

One of the problems with this is indeed its onesided elevation of "decision makers" above "intellectuals." That kind of bifurcation of thought is bound to lead to trouble, since it is by no means clear that decision makers (especially the cereal box prize that corporate America gave us in George W. Bush) have a clear understanding of the "complexities" or the "morality." Neither do "intellectuals," necessarily. For that matter, many "intellectuals" (from the Chicago School, say) become toadies to power. What conservatives tend to mean by "intellectuals" are intellectuals who don't have positions of power or influence in conservative administrations.

Aron's other friends at the New Criterion:

http://www.newcriterion.com/archive/19/may01/opium.htm

But I haven't read the book, to tell the truth.

Peter Kosenko