Alterman & Lilla lovefest

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 11 11:28:16 PST 2001

>Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 10:39:06 -0500
>
>Well, I don't know. These people weren't intellectuals in
>the sense I think ML is using the word. They had active minds
>and engaged in "intellectual" pursuits like reading and writing
>books, but they didn't occupy a social role in which they were
>supposed to do the thinking for other people.

Maybe you are right, but Jefferson was a lawyer and Garrison wasa preacher, and those jobs do involve "doing the thinking for otherpeople."

Most of them
>had day jobs. Now, this might not be an important distinction
>if everybody were going to speak truth to power, but as you
>say ML thinks the _intellectual_ should not speak truth to it
>but run around and see how he or she can best serve it, so I
>wonder if he means _no_one_ should speak truth to power, or if
>this pastime should be consigned to street people, taxi drivers,
>businessmen and other types outside the company of the elect
>(and the walls of the palace).

You are too flattering to him. In the Straussian precincts of the Cmtee on Social Thought, it is presumed that taxi drivers and businessmen can't think and must be lied to by the Enlightened. I am not making this up. What I am saying is literally true.

jks

Someone should ask him.