Alterman & Lilla lovefest

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 11 21:22:14 PST 2001

>On Sun, 11 Nov 2001, Jim Farmelant wrote:
>
> > It is my understanding that this was one of the essential teachings of
> > Leo Strauss, who as far I know first expounded this doctrine, in his
> > essay "The Literary Character of the Guide for the Perplexed"
>
>Jim, do you know offhand of the title of a collection in which this essay
>appears? And can you recommend a good secondary work on Strauss?
>
>Thanks,

For this audience, probably the best secindary work is Shadia B. Drury, Leo Strauss and the American Right (St. Martin's), and The Political Ideas of Leo Strauss (St, Martin's). She has good annotated biblios. The essay of Straussrefereed to is in Philosophy and Law: Towards an Understandind of Maimonodes and His Predecessors. I should menton that Justice Clarence Thomas has acknowledged the influence of Strauss vis the Straussian Henry Jaffa. Jaffa has stated that "sodomy" is the chief problem facing the Republic. (I say, if you don't like it, don't do it! It's not for everyone.) jks