9-11 as crime

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Mon Nov 12 04:45:09 PST 2001

Chris Burford <cburford at gn.apc.org>:
>>>IMO the peace movement must avoid pacifism. That requires articulation of
>>>appropriate demands for global governance.

This might be something of a problem, because part of the hard core of the peace movement are precisely pacifists, often religious pacifists. How are you going to get rid of them, anyway?

Lou Paulsen:
> >Which class should we demand govern the globe, in your opinion?

Chris Burford:
> That class which as a first step must win the battle of democracy.

I think we've got one of them already.

I don't see why the question had to be met by a couple of personal attacks, by the way. It seems cogent and relevant. If the peace movement is going to advocate that someone govern globally, I would think those who are to be enlisted in the movement would want to know who and how. I take it there will be plenty of enlisting to do, since the pacifists and anarchists are to be kicked out somehow.

> Obviously there will be a response to terrorism, and people expect this.
> Therefore the only campaigning strategy that can weaken US hegemonism is
> one that recognises this fact, but proposes a more appropriate global
> solution.

Besides getting on your case about "governance" I'll ask instead whether weakening U.S. hegemonism will accomplish very much if Capital prevails regardless, which it seems very likely to do however the present American adventures turn out. Yes, the fat cop may be demoted; but their are other cops in the precinct, some of whom may be even nastier than f.c.

-- Gordon