Rock the Global

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Mon Nov 12 07:34:20 PST 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck Munson" <chuck at tao.ca>

Huh? Can you send me your PGP public key so I can decode what you just wrote?

Counterfinality?

Chuck0

Chuck,

Counterfinality is the term -coined by Sartre, I believe- for the analysis and explanation of such common sense notions as 'the law of unintended consequences' and the various contradictions and fallacies of composition that are prevalent in social life under capitalism - which is not to say counterfinality can be removed from social systems. Marx was a counterfinality theorist par excellence. An excellent intro to the idea is Joseph McCarney's essay "Elster, Marx & Methodology" in the book 'Analyzing Marxism' edited by Robert Ware & Kai Nielsen.

Ian