are violations of rights ever right?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Nov 12 15:49:12 PST 2001

Ian Murray wrote:

> Justice Department attorney Douglas Ginsburg responded that the courts
> are not equipped to determine matters of national security. He
> declared that facts that might "seem innocuous" to a judge could be
> regarded as more significant to a government agent who wants them kept
> secret to protect an investigation.

That sounds very similar to the arguments that led to the execution of the Rosenbergs. Pushed hard enough (i.e., I'm offering a slippery slope argument for what it's worth) this could constitute a _de facto_ creation of what used to be called a Star Chamber.

A secret court, as I understand it, can certify a wire tap. Now a secret court (if this argument is accepted) can certify an indefinite imprisonment.

???? Justin?????

Carrol