Alterman & Lilla lovefest

michael pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Tue Nov 13 00:28:10 PST 2001

Kendall Clark>I found Lilla's essay, "The Lure of Syracuse", which serves as a kind of extended advertisement for his book, in the 20 September NYRB

completely disgusting.

Haven't read it yet. With that as a spur I will! Have to say I liked his review of a # of books on Carl Schmitt, a few yrs. ago in the NYRB. Paul Piccone, editor of Telos and G.L. Ulmen, who has written on Karl Wittfogel wrote an outraged letter to the editor.

Kendall Clark >...One might like to have read a few words about the degree to which American intellectuals justified, say, extending American racial

apartheid until the mid-60s.

See a new book, "Divided Minds: Intellectuals and the Civil Rights Movement, " by Carol Polgrove, published by W.W. Norton. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/longterm/books/chap1/dividedminds.htm

Kendall Clark>...I can't remember the last time an NYRB essay made me so *mad*.

Better stay away from reading Tony Judt, another regular in ther NYRB. One of the three best books I've read on the French left intelligentsia was his, "Past Imperfect, " from Oxford Univ. Press. The other two were by Stefan Collini and Mark Poster. In my pile is the one co-written by Luc Ferry and Alain Renaut from Univ. of Massachusetts Press on Foucault, Derrida, Althusser and co. Michael Pugliese