nightmarish synthesis

Tahir Wood twood at uwc.ac.za
Tue Nov 13 06:28:29 PST 2001

You don't need much Hegel to recognize the need for a synthesis. Lou Paulsen

Actually for this you mustn't know any Hegel at all. Synthesis is something superimposed onto Hegel by people who didn't understand aufhebung or supercession. If you did know any Hegel, far from wanting a synthesis, you would want something way, way better than the ham-fisted Leninists or the anarchist demagogues. (God just imagine how ghastly the two rolled up into one would be!) But what is even more Hegelian than this is the fact that you would have a real hope of it coming about 'in the end'. We shouldn't lose the hope of having something better than what we now have. Tahir