cultural imperialism

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Nov 13 07:52:18 PST 2001

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> On one hand, it's a funny anecdote; on the other hand, the popularity
> of Coke, Pepsi, etc. in poor nations is often a sad index of the
> absence of potable tap water.

Decades ago some work I read on Cuba referenced Che on the difficulties of getting the Coca-Cola plant in Cuba operative. It seems that the way the plant worked was simply to follow a mechanical formula for mixing imported ingredients that were identified only by a number. In other words, no one in the plant had the slightest idea how to produce a soft drink. Both Che and the author were discussing the case as an example of how so many imperialist investments in the third world were non-contributors to third world development -- "manufacturing plants" that in fact were only glorified warehouses. But Che also declared tht in a semi-tropical country soft drinks were a necessity not a luxury, which is why the Cubans spent so much time trying to use the plant.

Carrol