cultural imperialism

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Tue Nov 13 08:55:12 PST 2001

G'day Doug,

>I was on a panel the other night with Hamid Dabashi, author of a new
>book on Iranian film. On the subway afterwards, he said that Titanic
>was enormously popular in Iran. It was a taste of freedom, and a fuck
>you to the ruling clergy.

Just a coincidence that the rather well-endowed starlet lets the repressed subjects of an erotophobic regime have a peek, then? And always a good idea to drown the lower decks brigade as spectacularly as possible, I s'pose.

Just so you don't think I'm one to sniff at freedom, resistance and The American Dream, I'm currently petitioning Rupert Murdoch (as much ours as yours, so I dodge the Yankophobe tag) with this idea I've got for pay-per-view nude mixed world championship soccer, in which anyone who misses a penalty is summarily garrotted on the penalty spot, and goalscorers are brought to orgasm in the centre circle by the opponent/s of their choice. I have high hopes for this logically inevitable Next Step In World Broadcasting (might even bring the world game to the recalcitrant American heart), and you've helped me a bit with a potentially problematic publicity blurb, so ta.

>Dabashi, who is quite against the war,
>nonetheless had some tough words for the anti-Americans in the
>audience; he liked the title of that WSWS piece from a few weeks ago
>- "Anti-Americanism, the Anti-Imperialism of Fools."

Well, we've already had that one out. I made the distinction between nation state and people and I discerned something of the fin de siecle Rome of Ever Greater Games. Still do.

Cheers, Rob.