Oil Diplomacy Muddled U.S. Pursuit of bin Laden

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Tue Nov 13 09:33:46 PST 2001

November 12, 2001

THE HUNT

Oil Diplomacy Muddled U.S. Pursuit of bin Laden, New Book Contends

By ETHAN BRONNER

former F.B.I. antiterror official who was killed at the World Trade Center on Sept. 11 complained bitterly last summer that the United States was unwilling to confront Saudi Arabia over Osama bin Laden and that oil ruled American foreign policy, according to a new book published in France.

The former official, John P. O'Neill, was the director of antiterrorism for the F.B.I.'s New York office when he resigned in August to become chief of security for the twin towers.

"All the answers, everything needed to dismantle Osama bin Laden's organization can be found in Saudi Arabia," Mr. O'Neill is quoted as saying in the new book, "Ben Laden: La Vérité Interdite" ("Bin Laden: The Forbidden Truth"), which argues that Saudi support for Mr. bin Laden has been extensive.

One of the book's co-authors, Jean- Charles Brisard, a security expert who has spent several years examining Mr. bin Laden's financial empire, says in the book that he met with Mr. O'Neill in June and July. Mr. O'Neill is quoted as lamenting "the inability of American officials to get anything at all from King Fahd," the ailing Saudi ruler.

He explains the failure in one word: oil. <http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/12/international/12LADE.html?pagewanted=print>