pull-down menus

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Tue Nov 13 09:55:57 PST 2001

``...we are talking _villages_ here, not urban universities with computer science dpts. plus, with almost a billion people, chances are that a few of them are worth being hired in the us...'' jc helary

I know. It was a bit of sleeze on my part. But I sincerely hope that rural communities are using something like one of the unices to run whatever computers they have managed to get hold of.

For one thing these (FreeBSD) are free to download, maintain, and there are international mirrors in Australia, China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan---as well as EU and South America. I don't see any in Indonesia, India, Pakistan or the Middle East, but there are five in Russia, three in the Ukraine, and two in South Africa.

These are the OSs running most of the big servers, and they are excellent teaching tools since the OS source code is there to play with, modify, customize, or morph any way you can get to work for whatever reason or need you have.

In any event, it would be nice to hear what is actually going on in India, rather than having us speculate on it. I mean it is a kind of measure of just how insulated we in the US are from the rest of the world. In a sense the Afghanistan war news lock-out in the US only helps reveal just how isolated we in the US have become in our media/communication fortress.

Chuck Grimes