Saying Goodbye to Patriotism (by Robert Jensen)

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Tue Nov 13 10:22:48 PST 2001

Yoshie Furuhashi channeling Robert Jensen:
>Saying Goodbye to Patriotism

While I found this article somewhat prolix, it does raise interesting questions: What are the boundaries of our moral concern, and why? One is encircled by sets: self, family, neighborhood, tribe, ethnicity, nation, class, species, set-of-the-sentient-beings, biosphere. Which boundaries are valid, and which should be made transparent or removed altogether? Few can care about everyone and everything, and at least some of the boundaries appear to be intuitively valid, although the nation-state (the province of patriotism) seems to possess one of the weaker claims.

-- Gordon