cultural imperialism

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 13 12:36:50 PST 2001

>And let's not forget the eternal allure of nicotine. Ho Chi Minh, as I
>recall, was a devoted Salem smoker.

Stalin smoked Edgeworth tobacco (yuck) in Dunhill pipes, compounding the crime by ruining great pipes with lousy tobacco. Course, who was gonna tell him? (Khrushchev: "You tell him!" Malenkov, "Are you crazy, _you_ tell him!" They both look at Yezhov, "YOU tell him." He did. That is how they got rid of the poison dwarf. [Sorry, Marta, that's what his friends called him. His enemies called him "Sir, please, don't, Sir."))

My old tobacconist in Ann Arbor, when I told them this, put up a sign in their window for a bit in large print saying "Stalin Smoked Edgworth!" Only in AA. This was the old A-Squared Pipe and Tobacco, long gone to the realm of the virtuous. jks