cultural imperialism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 13 14:05:14 PST 2001

Mina Kumar wrote:

>But people also like the stuff, something which causes
>>anguish among high-toned Europeans and American leftists.
>

>Is it just me or is there a tone of relish in this remark?

It's not, and there is. I find the a lot of the anti-Coca Cola and anti-McDonald's stuff coming out of Jose Bove and Helena Norberg-Hodge rather tiresome. Workers Vanguard had a nice line about Bove - something like they hadn't realize that food chauvinism was part of a revolutionary political program.

Zizek makes the point that some of the loudest protests against the U.S. come from the displaced bourgeoisies (and their intellectuals) of second-tier powers - the prime example being France.

Doug