lbo-talk-digest V1 #5274

Chris Doss chrisd at russiajournal.com
Tue Nov 13 23:45:30 PST 2001

I will get back on this later, as I am busy as hell right now, but I would like to say that the author obviously knows fuck-all about Chechnya. I don't want to appear like I'm supporting what I think is a poorly planned and probably unsustainable Russian strategy in the region, but the idea that the war in Chechnya is about separatism, when in fact Chechnya has had de facto independence from Russia since 1996, and that foreigners are not deeply involved (HELLO? Khattab?) is just ridiculous. Dear God, I don't even like thinking what would happen if the hardcore separatists got into power. They would be the Taliban squared.

Western leftists I think tend to graft Russia-Chechnya onto an Israel-Palestine model out of sheer reflex (and ignorance). When I read this kind of stuff my jaw just drops to the floor.

Chris Doss The Russia Journal

HE MORAL GROUND

TheGolem

Uzbekistan and the other "stans" are to Afghanistan and the U.S. what Cambodia was to Vietnam and the United States.

The five (tongue twister) former republics of the Soviet Union, which neighbor Afghanistan (two of them directly), i.e. Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan (all of them "stans") are all impoverished, fragile regimes of the former Soviet republics, now controled by autocrats, and they are expecting BIG _rewards_ for their cooperation with the only "real" remaining world SUPER-power, the United Police States of America.

None of the "stans" are paragons of democracy or human rights. They all impose censorship and limit political opposition. Their populations total 55 million. Their average per capital income is ONLY $766. Tajikistan and Uzbekistan have a direct border with Afghanistan and along with Kaazakhstan have offered their territories for basing of U.S. troops and Kyrgystan and Turkmenistan have provided airspace rights. The U.S. began courting these states right after the September 11th attack.