Pure Stupidity? Something Else?

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Wed Nov 14 08:42:43 PST 2001

Pure guesswork, given my especial non-expertise on this question, but I imagine OBL simps inside of S.A. in the useful idiot category, hedging their bets and not actively conspiring against the S.A. regime. The regime hedging as well, not wanting to alienate basically harmless, well-connected types by jumping all over them. I suppose they are on the lookout for true conspirators inside the country, insofar as they are not internally compromised by such types.

Another argument -- the Saudi elite are all mostly related to each other, right? You don't take after errant family members with the same viciousness you would someone else.

This is a long-standing situation, and I think if there was more of this internal policing we would have heard more about it. I also note the spate of non-official complaints about this from elite U.S. media sources, such as Friedman in the NYT. Hence my suspicion that the Saudi policy on support for the U.S. is to provide as little as they can get away with.

mbs

>There is no lack of evidence that
>individual Saudi's are part of the OBL/al qaida network, and we
>could reasonably guess that the Saudi state is not turning its own
>country upside-down in a hunt for OBL cronies... mbs

I believe that it is--the overthrow of the Saudi government is, after all, one of the principal aims of Al-Qaeda, isn't it? Brad DeLong