cultural imperialism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Nov 14 13:20:53 PST 2001

Mina Kumar wrote:

>I mean, "just the bellyaching of a displaced bourgeoisie"? The
>cheapness of the dismissal fails to address the actual content of
>the critique.

What can I say? I'm cheap.

Just wait til I don a uniform, cue the Sousa, and start saying "Love it or leave it!"

>and 2) the social origins of the
>>anti-colonial leaders help explain the disappointing course of
>>post-independence life, which often involves betrayal, exploitation,
>>and repression.
>

>I don't know if you could make a fine-grained correlation, but like
>you said, this doesn't invalidate the critique of imperialism, so
>it's a red herring.

If the critique of imperialism comes from a class that just wants to set up its own despoterie, then it's not a red herring at all. It matters a lot, especially to the masses that are taken in by the fraud.

Doug