cultural imperialism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Nov 14 16:32:50 PST 2001

Mina Kumar wrote:

>>Well that's something. Not the taxes part, but the less white. One
>>of the more admirable things about this place is that people from
>>all over the world come here
>
>It's this kind of comment that eggs me on to a caustic response.

I get the impression it doesn't take much of a stimulus.

> I mean, if it admitted any of the none-too-admirable reasons that
>America is more non-white than Germany, maybe I wouldn't feel the
>knee jerk desire to say something like "yeah, three cheers for
>slavery, capitalism and imperialist adventures".

If I hadn't spent the last 15 years of my life writing and talking about those things, I might think that comment was apt.

We could talk about the caste system in India, or Hindu-Muslim relations, or the BJP, or the propriety of a country filled with hundreds of millions of desperately poor people developing nuclear weapons, too. Is the U.S. the only country that's viciously stratified?

Doug