Hitch gloats

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Wed Nov 14 17:17:39 PST 2001

Hitchens wrote:

> Guardian (London) - November 14, 2001
>
> Ha ha ha to the pacifists
> Christopher Hitchens

> Poor fools. They should never have tried to beat me at this game.
> What about, "Afghanistan, where the world's most open society
> confronts the world's most closed one"? "Where American women pilots
> kill the men who enslave women." "Where the world's most
> indiscriminate bombers are bombed by the world's most accurate ones."

Does anybody on this list know Hitch? Can you ask him to send me some pictures of women warriors of the North Alliance? Has he heard of RAWA, or is he too busy flirting with the staff at CNN?

> There's no pleasing some people, but as a charter supporter of CND I
> can remember a time when the peace movement was not an auxiliary to
> dictators and aggressors in trouble. Looking at some of the
> mind-rotting tripe that comes my way from much of today's left, I get
> the impression that they go to bed saying: what have I done for
> Saddam Hussein or good old Slobodan or the Taliban today?

I would suggest to Hitch that he put down his drinks for a minute and spend some time *actually reading* what has been written by the Left. The Left is broader than just the Nation and the New Republic magazines. His criticism of the dictator-lovers at the WWP may be on target, but here in the states there has been a rejection of this organization's attempts to run the peace/anti-war movement.

Hitch should start reading here: http://www.infoshop.org/antiwar.html

> Well, ha ha ha, and yah, boo. It was obvious from the very start that
> the United States had no alternative but to do what it has done. It
> was also obvious that defeat was impossible. The Taliban will soon be
> history. Al-Qaida will take longer. There will be other mutants to
> fight. But if, as the peaceniks like to moan, more Bin Ladens will
> spring up to take his place, I can offer this assurance: should that
> be the case, there are many many more who will also spring up to kill
> him all over again. And there are more of us and we are both smarter
> and nicer, as well as surprisingly insistent that our culture demands
> respect, too.

Thank god the Northern Alliance is in power. They have such an upstanding record on human rights.

<< Chuck0 >>

Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ AOL IM: AgentHelloKitty

INTERNATIONALISM IN PRACTICE

An American soldier in a hospital explained how he was wounded: He said, "I was told that the way to tell a hostile Vietnamese from a friendly Vietnamese was to shout ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ If he shoots, he’s unfriendly. So I saw this dude and yelled ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ and he yelled back, ‘To hell with President Johnson!’ We were shaking hands when a truck hit us."

(from 1,001 Ways to Beat the Draft, by Tuli Kupferburg).