Hitch gloats

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Wed Nov 14 20:43:16 PST 2001

> Ha ha ha to the pacifists
> Christopher Hitchens

Haven't read Hitch's new book about being a mentor, but since, in my younger days, he was a hands-on mentor to me, I can say that back then there was little of the pettiness on display here. And for a man over 50 -- jeez, it's Paul Johnson time.

And anyway, I don't know many people who thought the Taliban would win against US power, so this gloating about how the "pacifists" (whoever they are) got it wrong is sheer posturing. And as for this --

> And there are more of us and we are both smarter
> and nicer, as well as surprisingly insistent that our culture demands
> respect, too.

-- I wonder if Hitch is referring to all the wonderful new legislation that has come our way since 9/11. I mean, is he in favor of the Patriot Act? Military tribunals for civilians? Extended detention of "suspect" aliens? These nightmares, with more to follow I'm sure, are now part of "our culture." Does Hitch demand that we pay this "respect"?

DP