Victory, hurray, etc

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Thu Nov 15 05:43:49 PST 2001

. . . This makes sense if (and I don't think anyone will seriously disagree with this) your strategic goals are exclusively domestic/political. You win a massive military victory (or something that looks reasonably similar to one), the naysayers and pacifists look like fools (because they thought you had war aims, which would have been unachievable, which is why you didn't). You've destroyed someone like "Saddam, Slobodan, OBL", who everybody hates, therefore you've done good. The shower of crap which remains in the theatre of war can't possibly be your fault because you've *left*, just like the sneering pacifists wanted you to. It's beautiful. Perhaps we can coin a phrase "Clintonian Victory", like a Pyrrhic one except that you don't suffer any casualties but go home anyway. dd

Why go looking for this sort of pastime? The Bushies had all sorts of other plans. And some minimal historical perspective would tell them a military 'victory' does not necessarily translate into lasting political credit.

mbs