Cultural Imperialism

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Thu Nov 15 10:44:53 PST 2001

At 01:28 PM 11/15/2001 -0500, you wrote:
> >One thing many leftist cultural critique folks ignore is the appeal of
> >craftmanship (and craftwomanship) that make Hollywood movies and
> >entertainment so appealing. Part of the advantage Hollywood has is the
> >sheer dollars spent on US movies, which allows the employment of folks who
> >can do a particular skill (make scene lighted just so, make shit blow up so
> >cool, etc.).
>
>Opinions may vary as to whether making shit blow up so cool is a worthy
>contribution to world culture. But when I think of craftsmanship (since
>we're on the subject on French cinema), I'm more inclined to think of, say,
>the obsessive dedication and meticulous skills of Jacques Tati, who spent
>years on his final masterpiece, Playtime, and went broke in the process.

Yes, a hotel owner in Spain some years ago expounded on the great "production values" of Hollywood movies. At the time "Look Who's Talking 3" and some American shoot-em ups were playing in town. About craftsmanship I don't know. I suspect what people like about American movies is the display of conspicuous consumption in the making of the movie and in the movie itself. There's such Dionysiac waste in it; makes you feel like the universe overflows with wealth. A reason for optimism perhaps.

As for quality? I would exchange the entire Hollywood production of the last twenty years for ONE movie by Satyajit Ray or Ghose.

Joanna B.