Bloomberg on NYC Rebuilding- union wrokers to get screwed

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Thu Nov 15 11:12:48 PST 2001

Nathan Newman wrote:
>Well, for those who like their enemies speaking in clear prose,
>Bloomberg may be a refreshing change. In Newsweek this week:
>
>"It's a different kind of problem [from 1975]...Back then the unions
>didn't understand that they would have to bear the brunt of any
>downturn. Today all the unions understand that."

-Interesting version of history. I wonder who Mike things bore the -brunt of the '75 downturn. Bondholders? And not city workers, users -of city services, students at CUNY, etc. etc.?

I read the comment differently-- it's not that unions didn't take the brunt in the 70s; it's just that this time around, they don't have any silly ideas that they can resist it.

-- Nathan