WB: developing countries "won" in Doha; UAE to host Afghan talks

Seth Ackerman sia at nyc.rr.com
Thu Nov 15 11:58:57 PST 2001

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Translated, this means that the U.S. doesn't like it that each
> country has one vote, meaning that Africa together has greater weight
> than the G-7 countries. No doubt they'd prefer something more like
> the WB/IMF, where votes are weighted by income, and only the U.S. has
> veto power.
. I thought this mostly applies to the actual WTO as a staff-run institution. When the trade negotiations start, it's hardly one country one vote. There are all sorts of mechanisms - not just the Green Rooms, but also pervasive bilateral pressure, using aid budgets and lending agencies - to keep the poor countries in line, no?

What evidence is there that the US is dissatisfied?

Seth