Pure Stupidity? Something Else?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Nov 15 19:49:51 PST 2001

Seth Ackerman wrote:

> [clip] But I don't think of that stuff as a merely "smaller scale"
> version of what Mohammed Atta did. Besides, it's been over with for years.
> So I still think some explanation is needed for why Hezbollah is being
> targeted by the US "war against terror" while the Israeli veterans of Lehi
> and Stern aren't.
>
> Seth

I really think that it is worth considering as a hypothersis that the US (the government) simply is blundering around -- that they really don't know the fuck what they are doing. There is at least as much empirical evidence from human history for this explanation of a given state policy as there is for the various explanations that assume the policy makers see their own interests exaclty the way the analysts on the sideline (right or left) see that interest. All left analyses of U.S. policy that I have seen (including most of my own observations) assume (1) that there exists a single objective interest of the U.S. state in this situation (2) that the policy makers in D.C. understand that interest and (3) that "my" understanding of that interest is identical with the policy makers' understanding. Not one of these premises is really very certain.

Carrol