Safire: Seizing Dictatorial Power

Jeet Heer jeetheer at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 16 10:46:23 PST 2001

Safire column is an interesting example of a larger tendency in recent years: the fact that the most vocal voices defending civil liberties in the United States often come from the libertarian/anti-statist right. That certainly is not the case in Canada or (I would imagine) in Europe. Why is this the case? Is it just an example of the marginalization of the left in the U.S., so that the only arguments that take place are between different strands of the right.