Suitcase Bombs - don't panic

Gar Lipow lipowg at sprintmail.com
Fri Nov 16 11:22:58 PST 2001

> my comment was a poke in the ribs. i think the question--as a way of

> pointing out how silly someone's concerns are--is, itself, silly.

Maybe overly terse. But 911 required a lot preperations (including flying lessons). It was carried out as soon as possible for maximum damage.

And we had people saying that the use of suitcases nukes are inevitable or damn likely -- move out of big cities as soon as possible. It really is worth pointing out that this is inducing panic at something unlikely to happen. On the other hand, I had to spend some time on it, because it

is unlikely, not absurd. There are some realistic scenarios as to how this could come about.

I suspect the missing Russian nukes are either in the hads of govermente rather than less official terrorist organizations. (Most existing governments are also terrorist organizations.) Alternatively, some of them could still be in the hands of Russia, and former Soviet Sattelites. Given the chaos in Russia and former Soviet Colonies, it is also possible that some of them never existed and represent an accounting error.

Yours, Pollyanna