Suitcase Bombs -- Don't panic

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Fri Nov 16 13:53:23 PST 2001

Gar Lipow:
> Your point is not silly. But in fighting against the end of the world,
> it may be counter-productive to place too much emphasis on the fact that
> it is the end of world that we are fighting against. And while there is
> no doubt where the slope leads, it may be a shallower, longer slope
> than we fear. I guess returning to an old cliche, the question is
> always HOW to balance pessimism of the intellect with optimism of the will.

I think human survival is a long shot, but it's generally more interesting (to me) than annihilation. (Well, the latter might be sort of exciting for a few weeks, but I think it will prove generally dreary in the long run.) That being the case, a radical struggle to stop the war / work machine wins pretty much by default. Besides, it's much more fun than trying to get along with the established order, which is not only violent, immoral and ugly, but boring and stupid.

I've gotten some very odd responses in some other discursive venues by saying what I said here; the idea is first relegated to the realm of flying saucers and the Illuminati. Then I patiently explain the logic, which is of course irrefutable, and everyone goes off whistling softly through the graveyard of their chosen future. I try not to care too much about it, but it is pretty sad.

-- Gordon