Arguments for ground war - forget it

Brad DeLong jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu
Fri Nov 16 16:33:06 PST 2001

>Of course the war was not legitimate. Of course in a world in which
>there are such inequalities of wealth and power, a counterattack was
>illegitimate.

So we should have gone to visit the homes of the dishwashers at Windows on the World killed on September 11, and told their wives, husbands, and children that "Because the United States is a rich and powerful country, it would be illegitimate to take any steps to force the Taliban to hand over those responsible for this atrocity, and illegitimate to take any steps to reduce Al-Qaeda's ability to commit a similar atrocity again?"

Somehow I don't think so.

Brad DeLong