cultural imperialism

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 17 16:48:43 PST 2001

>Carl Remick wrote:
> >
> > >why is schlock so popular?
> > >
> > >Chuck Grimes
> >
> > Well, it would be easy to blame the evil of capitalism, and so I will.
> >

>I'm afraid if you want to blame capitalism it must be by praising
>capitalism by creating more leisure and more literacy.
>
>Carrol

Carrol, your call for praising capitalism is, to me, all of a piece with the chortling expressed elsewhere on this list about the Italian "radical intellectual woman" who apparently failed to acknowledge capitalism's you've-come-a-long-way-baby contribution to her quality of life. I think it accomplishes nothing to stare in the rearview mirror and expresses wonderment about the distance capitalism has covered. To me, the critical question is, what is the next stage in human social advance and how do we get on with it already? The leisure and literacy that capitalism has created are ultimately fatally compromised by relentless merchandising and the substitution of commodities for creativity.

Carl