cultural imperialism

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Nov 17 20:06:49 PST 2001

Doug says:

>>about why Germany is having a hard time getting Indian software
>>professionals. As I recall, they prefer to go to the US bc it's
>>less white and the taxes are lower.
>
>Well that's something. Not the taxes part, but the less white. One
>of the more admirable things about this place is that people from
>all over the world come here.

That is because the USA is the latest (and hopefully last) empire, having decisively displaced European & Japanese empires by the end of the Second World War. The colonized go to study, work, & sometimes settle in the land of the colonizers. As no other government has built as extensive an empire as the US government (which has incorporated former European and Japanese colonies into its sphere of influence), it is no surprise to see the most diverse population here. -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Anti-War Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Anti-War Organizing in Columbus Covered by the Media: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/media.html>