cultural imperialism

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 18 08:55:42 PST 2001

In message <F187ZfeKWEprzIwFAkK0000b4f4 at hotmail.com>, Mina Kumar <wejazzjune at hotmail.com> writes

>remarks like this:
(quoting me)

>>The perpetrators of the World Trade Center and Pentagon were not
>>oppressed victims of Western domination, but mostly wealthy or middle
>>class Arabs from the Gulf States. Not the grinding poverty of the Gaza
>>Strip, but the conspicuous consumption of Saudi Arabia proved the
>>seedbed for Al-Qaeda. September 11 was roundly denounced throughout
>>>the Middle East.

Mina continues:

>are so ahistorical!

Strange choice of epithet. Wasn't I trying to distinguish between two historical periods, the one of popular nationalist liberation movements, the other of the rise of fundamentalism in their wake? Let me put it more clearly, the one progressive, the other reactionary.

-- James Heartfield