Postmodern Jihad

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Nov 18 10:45:19 PST 2001

ravi wrote:

>am i right in being suspicious that the use of 9/11 to attack
>postmodernism is promiscuous?

I was tempted to say yes, but then I realized it would give promiscuity a bad name. Right-wing troglodytes are using 9/11 as an excuse to promote all their favorite obsessions - drilling in the ANWR, increasing repressive power, bombing Iraq, denouncing Derrida as an enemy of Western civ. Have they ever looked at a page of Derrida's? Did they overlook all the references to Rousseau and Plato?

At the CUNY globo conference yesterday, Alex Callinicos, the house intellectual of the British SWP, opened his snoozy talk by referring to postmodernism as a "bad memory we can sweep aside." (The word came up because he was introduced as, among other things, the author of Against Postmodernism.) Marxists should be careful with that stuff, since the Weekly Standard hack lumped Marx with the posties.

Doug